October 24, 2006

Everyone's An Expert

I like Starbucks for a number of reasons. One being that ultimately, I have a problem. I'm addicted to coffee and no one, in my opinion, serves up a stronger cup than what you find in that of a grande bold. And yes, people around me hate it because of its commercialized catering-to-the-masses-of-over-consumers, thinking that I should be over myself enough to frequent the mom and pop coffee shop on almost every corner of this great city, and stop handing over my hard-earned money to this over-priced chain. (and each time these people tell me how wrong I am the price gets higher: “how can you spend $3 on a cup of coffee?” “I don’t get how you spend $5 on just one cup of coffee.” “$6?! on coffee?!”).

But the reason I'm now almost entirely over Starbucks is because of this. Is it possible? Has this "herd mover" finally gotten a little too out of control, even for my addiction?


I've put up with a lot so far. I mean, are they “the experts” on coffee? No. They buy it and sell it just like everyone else, just in fancier cups. Are they “the experts” on movies? No. They have opinions and backers and can promote what they want, when they want. Are they “the experts” on music? No. They buy and sell Miles Davis whose music has been around, (in case you're not aware), for quite awhile and for a lot less.

And I'm the first to admit that “The Way I See It” isn't really the way anyone sees anything at all (#175 “The world would be a boring place if everyone wore a size 2. I love being a size 22, just like I love a giant cup of hot chocolate with extra whipped cream. F.A.T. ‘Fabulous and Thick’ folks know that it's the extras in life - like pounds, cash and love - that give us character. Embrace the extras, baby.” - Mo'Nique). Right.

Are they now going to be “the experts” on literature too? Most definitely not (Mitch Albom?), but keeping in the Starbucks tradition, they're going to think they are.


Because we all think we know better, and we never really do.

Because we tell ourselves we’re experts, and feel it’s our duty to enlighten the un-knowing others.

Because getting coffee is just that, and we don't need anyone trying to make us better readers in the process.

Because I’ll still go to Starbucks (for a while anyway, old habits die hard), and I’ll be the first to admit it.

Because no matter what people say, change isn’t always a good thing, and in this world of endless options, wouldn’t it be nice if we were allowed some time to not have to think about what movie, music, mantra and book we should be watchinglisteningtolivingbyreading - especially that early in the morning, when all we’re looking for is a less than profound way (at a $1.89) to just make it through the day.

No comments: