November 1, 2006

Gain an hour, lose a year.

November already? Wasn’t it just yesterday when we were all walking around in shorts and complaining of the heat with all of summer ahead of us. Its green leaves and humid nights where everything made sense and the city seemed more alive, thick with hot air, wavy distant sidewalks and a steaming 39th street.

Wasn’t it just a month ago that I got here, to New York with my BlackBook List: New York 2006, a gift from a friend, listing the best places to go, Tia Pol, Chow Bar, Oznot’s Dish (Brooklyn) Angel Share, with a note on the inside front cover telling me to “kick the shit out of this city.”

November already? It’s so easy, isn’t it, for life to pass you by. There’s a chill in the air on the walk up 5th Ave. to 85th street to the steep, ascending steps of the MET to see the latest addition (Americans in Paris through 1/28). So I dig my hands deep into my pockets and I know that soon more tourists will be on the streets, filling their bags with items on lists, buying love, buying more time.

Wasn’t it just five minutes ago that I got here, to New York with the remnants of my old life packed up in two bags. There was a chill in the air then too, and if you listen closely, (shh), you can hear time passing, being picked up in the air and taken away into tomorrow as you dig your hands deeper, (a gesture being repeated all over this island) and watch your life pass you by.

No comments: