April 24, 2007

Anyone lived in a pretty how town

Now that the weather is nice, people are making plans. Of course they don’t realize that this 80 degree streak isn’t going to last for the entirety of April and May. This will change soon, and it will get a little colder before Real Summer settles in for only about one month before it leaves the screen door as quickly as it came in. How easily people forget.

Regardless, they’re excited and talking about how now with the onset of sun and warmth they would like to leave the city to actually enjoy it. No one is ever satisfied. OK, so maybe when it’s hot in the city it can be a little disgusting, what with the millions of people all outside on the same sidewalks at once, sweating, complaining, walking slow (tourists), sweating, making the lines longer at the places you need to go, you know, like Starbucks.

But you have to embrace these people by just accepting and ignoring them. Accept the lines and ignore the slow walkers like you do that guy on the subway (who always seems to end up right next to me while I’m trying to read) who speaks loudly about finding Jesus and how we’re all sinners.

Everyone is dreamer of greener pastures (I think Central Park is just fine). Suddenly all my friends are talking about driving two hours to go camping, to get away from the pavement because apparently the sun is different there. I mean, I guess. I’ve never understood camping, probably because once you’ve seen one tree you’ve seen them all, and I hate bugs. There are few insects that I can really hang with (I know, I know, I’m such a girl), and those include the standard cute bugs like lady bugs and fireflies, both of which you can find in the Park.


Real Summer isn’t even here yet anyway. This is Fake Summer, also known as Spring, and I don’t think us city-dwellers need to go far to enjoy it. It’s supposed to rain this weekend anyway, and the temperature is slated to drop about thirty degrees. I think that’s going to be about the time all those campers are going to wish they weren’t so quick to quit the city, and had simply stayed here.

No comments: