May 29, 2007

Listen to the tap.

You're tapping your foot. Do you like this song?

Pardon?

Tapping. You're (gestures to my foot) tapping your foot. That usually means you like the song.

Oh (I look at my foot and make it stop). Yes.

So you like jazz?

(What is it about jazz that makes men think things they normally wouldn't?)

Yeah, I do.

That's interesting.

Right.

Do you even know what song is this?

(What is it about a girl liking jazz that always makes men want to quiz you?)

It's Dave Brubeck (easy one) Pick Up Sticks.

Nice.

(I could have said Miles Davis or Coltrane, or Ricky Martin and he wouldn't have known the difference).

Yes, it is.

(then):

What's your name/where are you from/how long have you been in the city/what do you do/do you have a boyfriend?

(I answer all questions honestly and there's only one answer he pays attention to).

How do you not have a boyfriend?

Because (I say), I've yet to meet anyone who actually listens.

No comments: