October 21, 2007

Because everything gets lost.

We go out and
go to bars and
drink too much (sometimes) because we don’t know what we want or
who we are or
what we’re looking for.


But he was tall and
handsome and
he saw me sitting there and
asked me why I looked so sad.


"I’m not all sad," I said, sitting there
drinking a vodka soda in the middle of all those crowded people
waiting for a friend.


"You look it," he said, which might have been true but he didn’t know me or
who I was or
what I’ve been through (as
no one in New York ever does) - but
he felt strongly about me all the same.


"Well I’ve lost a lot, I guess," I said. "And sometimes it’s hard not to be."
He smiled and
shrugged and
said "Well I’ve just lost a girlfriend who has lost her mind," (calling him three times a day now!) and asked if I wanted to talk about it.


"Sure," I said, so we did, and
truth is Ashley really was a little bit crazy and
then he gave me his number on the back of a Come See Our Band Tomorrow Night pink flyer that was on the table, and
I folded it up and
put it in my pocket and
two days later when I did laundry I opened the dryer door only to see little pieces of pink paper scattered all about my towels.


Sometimes you lose things, (I guess), that you were never meant to have to begin with.
And
maybe for some of us,
(I guess) that goes for luck,
too.

No comments: