March 5, 2008

New York is bleeding me dry.

I know that we pay a high fee to live here (both monetary and emotionally) but this is getting ridiculous. Is there any other city in the world where people have better jobs and are still struggling just to get by? Every week it’s another twenty some odd dollars disappearing for groceries that aren’t eaten, late bills, superfluous drinks, late-night cabs, bad movies, small dinners and impossible-to-see-it-all-anyway-museums.

After two years of living here I don’t know where all those twenty some odd dollars have disappeared to, all in their small way contributing to my life here, all paying for things to keep reminding me why I stay. Because money buys us memories, (doesn’t it?) it’s just tough when you recognize that you might not be able to afford (especially after rent) to go out and make too many more.

No comments: