June 2, 2009

Seek Alt. Routes

After an informative session at a bike shop on Morton Street in the West Village (where yes, I’m thinking of attempting to commute via bicycle. Eco-friendly! Economical!), I was feeling like this new lifestyle could if nothing else, get me to where I wanted to go faster than walking. It’s the wave of the urban future after all. The New York Times said so on Sunday.

As I promptly turned the corner onto Hudson Street, thinking that I’d check out bikes on the cheap on Craigslist when I get back to my desk, I was shaken from my thoughts of carefree two-wheel travel when the screeching brakes of a car caused me to look up. I watched in horror as a large white van hit a gentleman in the middle of the intersection, on, you guess it, a bike.

He eventually stood of course, visibly shaken as the driver jumped out of the van to see if he had seriously flattened him like a pancake at Clinton Street Bakery (voted “Best Pancakes,” NY Magazine, 2005!). Thankfully, he had not, and the biker continued on his way.

Come to think of it, perhaps I’ll just stick to NYC transit.

For a little while, anyway.

No comments: