September 9, 2009

school supplies.

Classes started everywhere in Manhattan today. The small school across the street from my apartment had a crowd of kids and parents in front of it by 8:30 as I was gulping down the last of my coffee.

All bright pink backpacks and fresh white sneakers and the faint scent of number two pencils hung in the air.

As I walked out the front door and passed them, digging for my subway card and reminding myself to drop my credit card payment off in the mail - I felt very envious.

If only you really knew how great it is to be just your age, I wanted to tell them.

If only you knew what a major disappointment life is after recess and art class and after-school snacks end, you’d all be running into that building arms flailing in delight, instead of desperately holding on to your parent’s legs.

No comments: