February 10, 2010

The snow, today.

By the time I reached the office this morning (early, 8) I had accumulated about an inch of snow on my overall person, and three inches on the grande bold from Starbucks that I had just purchased a block earlier.

If there’s one thing worse than the grumpy crowded morning rush-hour subway crowd it’s the grumpy, wet, cold, morning rush-hour subway crowd, so I did what I could today to avoid them.

I, like everyone else, wanted to stay in bed and watch the snowfall from under the warmth of the covers through the little windows of my little apartment. Upon waking up I remembered the time when Snow Days were an actual possibility, when I would wake up at ungodly early hours just to turn on the local news and wait eagerly in the darkness of the living room for the name of my school to scroll across the bottom. Even then, it rarely worked out in my favor.

I wish sometimes (more often lately) that the world weren’t as serious and that when a blizzard hits a city with 8 million people, we’d all collectively agree that the best thing to do by far would be to simply not go outdoors.

But we’re all here now with wet hair and wet socks and cold coffee agreeing that being an adult really sucks. Especially in this kind of weather. I suppose all we can do now is accept it and keep our eyes on our computer screens and wait (eagerly) for an announcement that we’ll all be able to go home early.

No comments: