January 8, 2006

Back in the New York Groove

I’m here because this is where my life has led me. And anyone who knows me knows that this is where I’ve always wanted to end up. In a city this large everyone who comes here creates their own. I’ve already started building my own private New York from the moment I laid eyes on it in a car speeding the GW Bridge with the skyline hazy and towering in the distance.

Since then the skyline has changed but the feeling remains the same.

To the last 48 hours of my life: you’ve been hell. However thank you, as now all those 2880 minutes later, I’m far away from the dim lights of Boston and am sitting on a couch (or large chair, but couch by nyc apartment standards) in the city that never sleeps, (regardless of how much I need it).

Everything is faster here. The cars, the people (though the tourists are always the same), the sounds and air even seem to fly past your face as though it has somewhere to be. I’ve been looking tonight for a new place to call home, at least for a little while anyway. Goodbye to the 7 story walk up with closet sized room. Thanks but no thanks to the curtain blocked studio share with a strange man. How much? Don’t call me, I’ll call you.

I’ve never liked Kiss because of a bad face-painting experience as a child and because I was born with good ears, however they do know what they’re talking about when they say

Many years since I was here, on the street I was passin’ my time away
To the left and to the right, buildings towering to the sky
It’s outta sight in the dead of night
Here I am, and in this city, with a fistful of dollars
Stop at third and forty-three, exit to the night
It’s gonna be ecstacy, this place was meant for me

Feels so good tonight, who cares about tomorrow

No comments: