July 9, 2006

Vacation Part I

I haven’t written because I haven’t been around because I’ve been sitting on a beach getting tan and not wanting to come back to work again…ever. I sat on a beach with good weather, the open ocean in front of me surrounded by West-Palm-Beachians. Granted, I had wanted my beach vacation to take place somewhere in the vicinity of Greece and not where old people go to die, however I’m on a budget, a Manhattan-lifestyle-budget and beggars can’t be choosers (note: will be living off of peanut butter from the jar for a while as all of my money is now currently gone). People in Florida are friendly (well, the people who aren’t over sixty-five that is, as I’ve found that old people can be mean). I’m not used to friendly cab drivers or people having an overall interest in the well-being of the people around them, and I’m entirely not used to men offering to buy me drinks at bars. Granted two girls drinking in a crowded bar (note: vacation was for classy girl and longtime gal pal from jr. high) is typically a draw for most men. However, I’ve never really experienced much of it in Boston and New York (note: New York men are of a whole other breed and I’m still trying to figure them out. That’s a whole other post).

Regardless, I don’t think there was one night where I bought myself more than one vodka soda, which turned out to be a blessing as money is tight. Perhaps it’s a Southern thing, but men there are outgoing, talkative, unpretentious and, what to me is the most important trait of all – unafraid. Yes, they all seem to get a somewhat frightened look on their faces when I tell them I live in Manhattan, but when they got over that they made surprisingly interesting and intelligent conversation. (note: isn’t it sad that this is a rarity?). I of course met the one guy who wanted to suddenly be in a relationship with me after only a few drinks. Sensitive Man. There aren’t a lot of these walking around, but when you come across one it’s an interesting thing to see. He told me I completely changed his opinion of what New York women are like. I took it as a compliment and was too afraid to ask what he thought about New York women before (are we all bitchy, stupid and blonde?) Nevertheless, he was wearing a pink Lacoste shirt and, Sensitive Man or not, I could never be with a man wears pink Lacoste.

But Sensitive Man is better than Just Wants To Get Laid Man. At least Sensitive Man will remember your name and take an active interest in the things you’re saying. At least Sensitive Man won’t grab your ass and laugh when you turn around and forcefully tell him to knock it off. Just Wants To Get Laid Man doesn’t care about you. Just Wants To Get Laid Man has been ruined by the girls who aren’t Classy Girls. What is acceptable to these other girls (i.e. ass grabbing) has confused Just Wants To Get Laid Man into thinking that it’s an okay thing to do thing with every girl he meets. Just Wants To Get Laid Man is everywhere and thinks Classy Girls are a waste of his time, and it’s sad to think that Sensitive Man might turn into him one day. That is if he hasn’t already.

Anyway, I spent the Fourth of July watching fireworks on the beach, and as they went off over the ocean I noted somewhat sadly, how it was the first Fourth in a while that I haven’t seen the fireworks over the Charles River. And then it began to rain and we sat on the beach with towels over our heads as the crowd all rushed to leave. We didn’t care. All we did was sit on the beach, get wet, and not want to come back to work again…ever.

No comments: