September 13, 2006

Stormy Weather

I think if I could listen to Billie Holiday all day long, I’d be a happier person. It’s easy to get caught up in New York, caught up in the rush, in the vertical, in the endless pavement. It's easy to get caught up in the rush to work, to get home, the rush to get on and off the subway the rush to make your life happen. Truth is, in New York, your life is moving fast, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s moving somewhere.

I try not to think too long on the past and the things I can’t change and I wish time was like that pink silly putty that used to come in those small plastic eggs. Then I could stretch it and mold it and make the answers stick like black newspaper ink.

That’s why we all need Billie. She’s a romantic but a realist at heart. She knows when to say, It Had To Be You and when to say, Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off.

No comments: