August 14, 2007

A quiet night in the Bronx.

I was at the stadium tonight for the most un-thrilling, un-fantastic game I've seen in a long time (is this batting practice I'm watching?!). Basically I was there just in time to watch the Yanks throw away their winning streak and lose to Baltimore 12-0.

It was a rough night in the Bronx and starter Jeff Karstens couldn’t seem to make it happen (though pitching for the Yankees at age 25 made me wonder what I’m doing with my life) and nary a run was scored for the pinstripes and with Boston beating Tampa Bay 2-1 we're now officially losing the momentum we'd gained since Kansas City, and slipping behind our committed adversary, the Sox.


I'm sure they're gloating in Boston, as that's what Boston is good at - being bitter, moody, temperamental - and then gloating. And they never do give up, either. Walking out to the 4 train after the 7th inning (no need to stick around to witness the end of that kind of massacre) there was That Guy, that typical Boston Guy who is seemingly at every sporting event you'll ever go to in your entire life, screaming repetitively and loudly from the Upper Deck "Lets go Red Sox."

I mean, I get it. It’s a dual to the death at this point (and always has been in the eyes of the tried and true Fenway Faithful), and it doesn’t matter if the Yanks win as long as the Sox lose. However, had I seen his face I would have given him a fair rendition of a withering look and said: We’re playing Baltimore. The Sox are in Florida. Get it together man.

Because baseball game, hockey game, basketball game - it doesn't matter where you are or who is playing, whether the game has innings, periods or quarters, that guy will be there shouting at the top of his lungs simply to solidify the opinion of everyone everywhere that sports fans from Boston really just need to get over themselves.

And now, just 5 games out, there’s still hope (and isn’t it hope that Boston has thrived on for decades?) that the Yanks will cinch the AL East title and shut The Boston Guy up for good…or at least until April.

No comments: