September 23, 2007

Tours

I’m not much for guided tours, though
obviously some people are.


They’re taken through the city
on tops of busses or in horse-drawn carriages.
And through the MET from the Impressionist Wing (now closed for renovations)
to the American Wing with head sets and
forward moving gestures giving them reassurance that
"This way please, folks, " will get them to where they want to go.

I figure I learn more just going out on my own -
and hoping for the best.

And don’t you usually, though?
Just think about all those hours in the classroom
or minutes in front of that overhead projector...

Don’t you learn the most when you get home
and get your head straight
and some peace and quiet
and
a chance to look at everything
the way you
want to look at it?

I figure I’ve learned the most important things
(and sometimes the hard way) of my life
just out there on my own.

Because maybe when it comes to learning
the most important lessons in life -
no guide in the world would, could, or can ever be great enough,
to get you through.

No comments: