September 5, 2007

What is it about fall that makes me want to buy #2 pencils?

Maybe it’s because then, when people still felt #2 pencils were of the utmost importance (caution: please use only a #2 pencil for this exam!), life was simpler.

Filling out bubble sheets was easier than filling out time sheets.

But so much then (with important #2 pencils), I couldn’t wait for now. Oh how silly and stupid I was, wanting to rush rush rush through the ridiculous (remarkable) routine of childhood. From the future (now) I would go back and talk to my little self and say (along with re-thinking those penny loafers) "Slow down, please. Because where you are now is better than where you’re going."

Now, it’s 9-5 or 9-… and time is short and life is up, work, sleep, repeat.

Then, time was infinite, awake, bed time? and I read Where the Red Fern Grows maybe a hundred times.

If I could, from the future, go back and talk to little me, I would tell myself a few things:

Slow down, read Where the Red Fern Grows 101 times, appreciate grass stains and no deadlines and not having to count calories. Stand up to/then stay away from Alex Webber, who always tormented everyone (me) during recess, and most importantly, never ever be caught without a #2 pencil.

No comments: