August 25, 2009

@Times They Are a-Changin’

When it comes to living in a city like this there are things that you inevitably have to concede in order to continue living a fairly normal lifestyle. On top of how expensive everything is (thanks Starbucks for upping your prices. Even ten cents per grande bold is making an impact on my wallet) and after you’ve decided to spend more money on rent than you’d ever imagined, you recognize in your heat-induced coma (while clamoring for what little bit of cool air is coming from your window fan no larger than a basketball), that you just can’t have it all.

Shit.

So what concessions have I made? I joke to friends about having travelled back in time, but in all honesty I really have felt more removed from the outside world since I’ve had to give up what everyone lives on/talks about/thrives upon – cable, internet and the sanity that comes with air conditioning in ninety degree heat.

Admittedly the irony isn’t lost on me. Growing up I had parents who were strong believers in the difference between want and need and the importance of having their children realize said difference at an early age. No cable, no AC, no sugary cereal of any kind. I like to think it helped make me a better and more grounded adult, but in the case of Want v. Need it didn’t make me complain any less when I couldn’t join in the locker conversations about the latest episode of the Real World. Was no one watching Nova in junior high?

I’m pretty sure there aren’t many people living in New York City really thinking too much about need over want, either. This is after all the city that defines itself as a place that lets you have it all. How can I be expected to make such sacrifices in the city that never sleeps? (Note: I’ve come to find that the large population of the city not doing any sleeping are those of us sweating without window units).

Truth is I’m tired, hot and out of the conversational loop over after work drinks for not having been able to see the Mad Men premiere or the finale of Nurse Jackie. I’m looked at like an alien from another planet because I don’t know what albums are new on iTunes and have instead been listening to records (gasp!) from long ago bands. And I’m not posting things on Facebook or returning emails right away, either. Where have you been?! Friends ask. What have you been doing?

When did we become so attached to instantaneous responses? Call me, I say. It’s my only connection to the outside world. But no one calls anymore. People text and email and post messages on people’s walls about the intentions of calling, but in the end they never do. It all takes up too much time and energy because an actual conversation is like, so 2001. This is the age of technology, the age of the blackberry and emoticon and telling people how we feel in 160 words or less.

In the end I joined Twitter, one last ditch effort not to lose all of my friends entirely. Sure, I can’t really check it and don’t know what to post (after all, what new shows have I been watching? What news websites have I been able to check?), and I still don’t know what any of it really is supposed to mean. But it’s all about trying to roll with the changing of the times, even if you don’t really understand or like where they’re taking you.

At least that’s what some guy on one of my records sings about.

Right now, I just want fall to be here.

And if you have any questions, you know how to reach me.

1 comment:

AGlen said...

Despite the fact that you clearly stated that you do not have access to the internet and therefore will not be checking this often, I had to comment. I too just moved into an apartment I more than likely cannot afford, and therefore am lacking cable and AC. The only reason I have internet is b/c I steal it from the guy acroos the hall. So I totally feel you! Try not to melt over there. xo