August 6, 2009

Your Daily Forecast:

Rain in New York has become almost as common as the tourists who insist on stopping at the top of the subway steps to look at their maps. While I hate talking about the weather (and people who insist on talking about the weather), I guess it really is the one thing we all have in common (aside from frustration in our jobs, frequent bouts of depression and flat-lining relationships) that we’re okay to talk about with complete and total strangers.

I can’t begin to count the amount of people who have told me things about the weather, everywhere from standing sweating next to them on the subway platform, waiting in line behind them at Duane Reade, sitting beside them at Film Forum. We all can’t seem to stop ourselves from talking about this damn heat/humidity/rain/sun-that-turns-to-hurricane-and-back-to-sun-in-under-thirty-minutes. Did you see that tornado in Jersey? No. Did your power go out? No. Oh, well mine did. Did you see that the UV index is at a whopping nine!? Umm…

What are they doing? Watching the weather channel twenty-four hours a day? Is it on in the background when they’re cooking dinner and in the bathroom or making love? Just move to the left a little honey, I want to see what the average high is going to be for tomorrow…

I think that maybe we’re all so isolated during the winter months (that are right around the corner!) that we’ll do anything to reach out and talk to someone when we’ve all got our windows open and our flip-flops on and frizzy hair that no one cares about.

Personally I never really participate and find myself more just nodding or say things like “I know,” or “Yeah, it’s really bad,” before trying to move away from them without it looking obvious. Because truth be told I guess I’m that kind of New Yorker who doesn’t mind much not being bothered by anyone during the cold or warmer months of the year.

With a few weeks of summer left however, I guess maybe I’ll try to take part in this meteorological frenzy. New York is after all about the people you meet, a thing that’s becoming increasingly more difficult in this world where we carry through with most all of our interactions with other people via a screen or a profile or in amessage of 140 words or less.

So here goes nothing.

Tomorrow will be a high of 83 degrees (feels like 78), wind Northwest at 11 miles-per-hour with an overnight low of 64. Humidity 59 percent.

Would you look at that. No rain.

No comments: