February 14, 2006

Happy Single's Awareness Day

Right, so how entirely ridiculous is this holiday? A holiday marked on a calendar, as a day specifically set aside so that single people can remember that they're single and so that people in relationships can remember that they're suffocating and can't remember why they got into this thing in the first place. All while buying cards that will be thrown away, eating an obscene amount of chocolate and buying expensive and unnecessary dinners.

The plethora of flower vases that were in the lobby of my office building this morning awaiting their recipients, made the taste of my $1.25 deli shop coffee go bitter in my mouth. It's men giving their women (and we all know that's the only way it goes) flowers that they were not-too-subtlely informed they had to get in order to save themselves from the month-long celibacy that will surely follow (learning from last year when they realized that "you don't really have to get me something," is the biggest lie of all time) if they failed their mission as boyfriends.

People keep asking me what I'm going to do tonight. What do you mean what am I going to do tonight? Like, aren't you going to go out and like, get drunk with your girlfriends or something? Umm, no. You mean cry into my vodka soda with fellow female singletons over the fact that I don't have a man? Get it together. There are other things to cry about, like Michelle Kwan dropping out of the Olympics and the Vice President shooting people in the face.

Okay, okay, so the Vpotus is a little crazy and MK does already have some medals under her belt, and love lasts forever, blah blah blah. The only good thing about this holiday are those sugary little hearts, which are ruined because of the lame messages branded on the front. Well that and the fact that you can tell which guys aren't single. All those guys on the subway and on the sidewalk that you secretly would like to date, you know they have girlfriends when they're holding flowers or a bag from Godiva.

At least when I got home today my doorman asked me my name because, "people have been getting flowers and packages all day and I might have something for you." I told him, even though I knew the answer. He looked into his book and then looked back at me wounded, shaking his head, simply saying, "no."

I guess I just have to embrace this money making holiday orchestrated by all of the greeting card companies across the country and look to next year, when I will get flowers sent to the office…after I send them myself. Be mine, indeed.

No comments: